Mailing List

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Armistice (The Amberlough Dossier, #2)Armistice by Lara Elena Donnelly
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wanted my high expectations to pan out for this one, but I was a little disappointed.

It's not a bad book by any definition, but it kinda picks up with the same characters under wildly different circumstances. From stage performance and spywork and blowing up the art district to becoming a revolutionary grunt or rubbing nobs with diplomats years down the line.

It might have been rather cool. In concept, it might even work. But in this particular instance, the enjoyment I had with the previous novel went down the drain for a pretty long stretch until the new/old characters came back to life... figuratively and literally.

Spies, bombers, and angling for a full civil war did manage to keep this from being unentertaining. The writing has a lot of quite cool moments and the end makes up for much of the meh. It's occupation Europe in a lite-fantasy setting, after all. We've all seen a lot of this in literature and movies, and this one doesn't even have any fantastical elements. Just the names have changed.

I can't say it's at all bad, but it isn't wonderful. The one thing it has going for it is the LGBT elements.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment