Mailing List

Monday, December 25, 2023

Prophet SongProphet Song by Paul Lynch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I discovered that the new Booker prize for '23 was a Dystopian SF, I, of course, had to read it.

Why I decided to read it on Christmas day is beyond me. This is a huge warning novel. It can never happen here novel. Ireland has always had its share of problems, but this one hits too close to home, even if you're not in Ireland.

The hits keep coming, the rise of auth-right extremism and brutality overwhelming these poor people, page after page.

It's not an easy novel to get through, but then, that's also true for most Dystopia. I'll just say this: my ability to stomach fictional dystopia decreases every time our world comes ever closer to it. Indeed, it is like the enemies of kindness itself are reading these novels as a how-to manual.

So. Assuming you like a nice little descent into chaos, I will recommend this pretty good novel.

If you don't, or just can't stomach it anymore, then please avoid.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment