Mailing List

Saturday, October 21, 2023

The Violent CenturyThe Violent Century by Lavie Tidhar
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As I was going through my Lavie Tidhar kick, I thought I'd save this particular book for when I absolutely needed it. Of course, I found the right time in October, especially with that title.

I did rather expect a historical alternate history with actual superheroes living as normal human beings, being manipulated by governments and war and espionage, but this was dark even for expecting that.

I loved how we got these Watchmen-like old men and women living to the modern times, how they were fresh in the 1930s, WWII, cold-war era, and "retirement", and how all the chickens came home to roost. It was fascinating, very thriller, and it was absolutely amazing to see how so many atrocities played out with this particular twist adding even more ugly spice to the tale.

By now, I've read a good number of superhero-type alternate histories, but this one was extremely solid through and through -- and more so than most. So many dark secrets all came tumbling out. I recommend this for anyone who loves Watchmen and The Boys.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment