Mailing List

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Foundation's Edge (Foundation #4)Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

All in all, Foundation's Edge, the winner of the '83 Hugo, was a perfect example of an author returning to a beloved series at the time of his highest popularity. Look, folks, it's the return of a FOUNDATION story!

And while that was great and all, I have to step back and judge this more on its own merits.

It's an adventure that feels a lot like Second Foundation, only more drawn-out intrigue hinging on another search-for-the-Second-Foundation-under-the-guise-of-looking-for-Earth.

After all, the Earth, if it was indeed the cradle of humanity and human history and the birth of the mechanism OF psychohistory, it's a great place to start, right? Right.

And to be fair, the novel is entertaining enough, but it didn't really reach the level of the original trilogy. Good, but not absolutely fantastic. Why? Mainly because I was sus about the whole Gaia sequence. I mean, it follows and is followed by the Second Foundation Trilogy which runs with some of these ideas, especially in Foundation's Triumph, as a prequel, but overall I'm stuck looking at it like it might be one of those Deus Ex Machina events. Sure, a lot of time is spent setting it up, but it still feels meh. I love the basic idea, but I keep thinking it could have been so much greater, lush, and fascinating.

I'm imposing my own desires upon the work. I know this. But I still wish for things that didn't happen. Alas.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment