Mailing List

Friday, November 5, 2021

Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel #2)Forward the Foundation by Isaac Asimov
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I would recommend this one only for completionist reasons, but for the time, most people read this for nostalgia for the author. Asimov had just died, and Foundation was in our blood.

At least it was for me. I lived and breathed all the wonderful ideas from the original trilogy and I had really liked the sequels and then the prequels came along and I was all, Hari Seldon, Hari Seldon. I had the math in my blood. I loved Sociology because of what Asimov taught me. It was sweet.

But honestly, this brief overview of Hari's life and as he aged was more of a fan service thing than a particularly brilliant novel. The whole thug/garden thing was okay. Just okay. The later bits were spent mostly feeling funding woes or departmental setbacks. Good if you just want to focus on Hari, but I was slightly disappointed. I probably would have given it a higher rating when I read it the first time.

Still, if I'm just going to be serious about this, I'd put this firmly in the average category. And that's OKAY. I like how some of the elements are twisted into a fresher, more interesting way in the new TV show.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment