Mailing List

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Fan Fiction: A Mem-Noir: Inspired by True EventsFan Fiction: A Mem-Noir: Inspired by True Events by Brent Spiner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This MIGHT have had a bit more kick. But as it is, expecting nothing more than what it is, it's not bad.

What do I mean? Brent Spiner, Data of TNG, uses his life as an inspiration to write a fan-gone-wrong noir.

On the one hand, I REALLY wanted to enjoy a humorous romp or a scary ride, and it seemed to be going in both directions, and it SEEMED right on track, but there were a few things that didn't feel right to me.

For one, Brent seems slightly tone-deaf to his fan base. I'm not saying that he should have been anything more or less than what he is, of course, but -- yeah -- maybe I am. Okay. My take: if he, as the narrator, had been completely honest, more self-aware, less wishy-washy about his status as a cult favorite, I probably would have just enjoyed this standard plot for all that it is.

Crazy psychotic fans taking things too far IS a thing, after all, and as far as I know here, Brent did experience it.

But I'm of two minds on THAT as well: A fiction is a fiction and can get away with a lot, but a dramatic autobiography is a dramatic autobiography that might allow us some stretched credibility in the unreliable narrator category.

So which IS this? Some basic facts that are then blown up into Basic Instinct levels? Albeit with a cool one that ties in an awesome ep of TNG with Data's daughter?

I should just let that bit be, let this be what it is. But honestly, while it is far from being bad, I DID want a lot more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment