Mailing List

Sunday, July 19, 2020

The Unfinished LandThe Unfinished Land by Greg Bear
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Anyone who is familiar with Greg Bear will perk up when I say he harkens back to Eon's strange new SF worlds, mixes it with the feel of Dinosaur Summer, and then tops it off a taste of the big magic of City at the End of Time.

Aspects, mind you. The Unfinished Land is a wonderful new land that mixes historical fantasy with the kick of adventure, complete with sea battles, shipwrecks, and strange settlements WAY off the beaten path.

And when I say strange settlement, I mean one with eldritch magics, gods from outer space, drakes, and a carefully constructed social system of unique undead, eaters, and builders.

Just trying to figure out the rich worldbuilding gave me tons of enjoyment.

Maybe I'm weird, but the historical settings, while delicious, were not my favorite parts. When we get halfway into the novel, things get really interesting. No spoilers, but this is the kind of out-there imagination that I've always appreciated in Greg Bear. The bigger, the weirder, the better. :)

The play on the title is particularly awesome. Just mind, it probably isn't what you think. Maybe. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment