Mailing List

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm pleased to say that this sequel to Gideon the Ninth not only answers a few questions, but breaks the mold established by the first and plows through the fields of the dead to create (or destroy) all of creation.

I mean, what else can you expect when you're dealing not only with necromantic gods in a supremely hi-tech post-humanity universe?

Them to make soup?

Oh, wait... yeah.

Honestly, I was slightly bemused and slightly weirded out by the kind of pacing and style in the first part of the novel, and it didn't have anything to do with the 2nd person storytelling. It even felt like a mystery novel, or rather, a gothic mansion mystery including ghosts, more than a full-out preparation for a battle against hungry resurrection monsters and surviving a river of mad souls.

And even in my strange feelings, Muir pulls through and turns the tale into something ELSE entirely.

And I'm happy to say she also goes ahead and fulfills all my other expectations. Big payoffs. I'm quite happy. :)

Of course, now... WHERE THE HELL IS MY NEXT BOOK? (Pretty please?)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment