Mailing List

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Fun Home: A Family TragicomicFun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I guess I will be liking this comic for some of the non-standard reasons. It's not overly pretty. I'm not a huge fan of the artwork but it isn't bad. The story is autobiographical, extremely personal, and wonderfully honest.

The honesty, the unflinching clear-eye about what she is and what her father is, and how the full discovery of both finally came to light? This is probably my favorite bit.

Of course, without the extra flavors, pure honesty is never quite as amusing.

A close second is the beautiful intellectualism.

Come on. I admit I have a soft spot in my heart for the plethora of neologisms, the cantankerous quotidian quotations, the naked showers of Proust, Faulkner, and Joyce.

Intellectualism isn't for everyone, I know, but sometimes I love to roll myself on it like a labrador on a big bear rug. Can you see the charge it makes? All that static electricity making my hair stand on end?

It's FUN! :)

Mixing all that fantastic honesty with a riot of words did it for me. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment