Mailing List

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Some Desperate GlorySome Desperate Glory by Emily Tesh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I feel like I lucked out on this one. The first part made me feel like I was reading another clone of a long, drawn-out, almost YA military space-opera where the embittered survivors deny themselves or later discover some pleasure in life, but I AM HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE that this novel goes well beyond that setup.

Indeed, the many twists and turns it takes is rather rich and satisfying. I wouldn't spoil it, but the plot, new personality twists, and the overlapping structure seriously enriched both the characterizations and the overall plot in a serious way.

My recommendation? Stick with it. It turns into one hell of an interesting SF adventure.

Recent comps? Try Shards of Earth and To Sleep in a Sea of Stars. That should give you a pretty good idea of what we're looking at here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment