Mailing List

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Slow RiverSlow River by Nicola Griffith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Check this out: a nineties cyberpunk-ish novel that focuses on not only identity-skipping, some complicated sexual abuse issues, and LGBTQ+ themes, but -- get this --

Sewage Treatment.

The first is grounded and fascinating and keeps my interest, but it's the latter that is the real hook for me.

I mean -- Cyberpunk SF revolving around SEWAGE TREATMENT. I guess, in a way, that's the true grounding factor in this tale. Slowly moving grounding.


Honestly though, it was just unusual enough to be pretty damn cool even if it didn't utterly spark my cyberpunk-loving imagination. It WAS interesting, if not utterly brilliant. I can also probably say that this WILL be memorable, and that is nothing to sneeze at.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment