Mailing List

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)Catch the Lightning by Catherine Asaro
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don't know what to think about this one. While I do like the SFnal ideas, a bit of time travel, the genetic Mayan bloodlines carrying strong telepathy, the cyberspace and Inversion ideas of FTL, the core romance was weird.

We spent more than half the book in 80's gang territory with Starman and the other half back in the future dealing with institutional psychopaths, either of which was okay if it wasn't for romance being tied up in a core apology for inbreeding. It's just weird. They could all be closely related if there's this much time travel going on.

Anyway, it's an okay SF as long as I keep my expectations low-ish at the moment. The first one felt like it was much better. I'm not sold on these two characters.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment