Mailing List

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Re-Read 1/17/24:

Slightly more enjoyable than the first novel in the Daye series, but even though I thought the mystery was pretty interesting, I'm really just looking forward to the later novels. It does get much better than this. As for now, it's mostly a fairly average UF with an utterly delightful auntie Sea Witch to keep things spicy.



Original Review:

I need to clarify my adding this book to the transhumanism bookshelf. It really ought to have it's own category of transfaeism, but the fae really act so much like humans that I just couldn't find the real difference.

In the end, I decided to let the characters climb their own trees.

The book was solid, if a bit difficult to pull off. The novel had less melodrama and a lot more plot this time, and really felt like a mystery for our intrepid fae private eye. There were a lot of interesting character concepts, and I think that's what makes these books quite good. I mean, really: a seal fae? Oh yes.

On to the next novel!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment