Mailing List

Monday, February 8, 2021

Calculated Risks (InCryptid, #10)Calculated Risks by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm a bit funny when it comes to publication quirks. I will willy-nilly make adjustments in my head to combine certain titles and split up others and call it a day no matter what the official publishers might say.

So in this case, I'm ignoring the whole book #9, #10 publication orders and calling this ONE SINGLE BOOK. No cliffhanger, just a complete story.

So what does this mean for the enjoyment of both, either? Nada. I love the whole thing. Period.

In fact, I've been chortling with glee with a bunch of spoilerish scenes that are totally related to enormous muppets that would have made John Carter of Barsoom scream.

Plus, I had to calm myself down with all the multiverse huge consciousness-eating sentient math stuff or I would have blown my SF-loving mind.

And this is supposedly a UF. It has all the earmarks, the so cute relationship stuff that is neither overblown nor overdone. I mean, how awesome is it that we have so much puppy-love between two species that are naturally immune to each other's 'love me forever' charms, whether it is powerful incubus pheromones or Cuckoo telepathy? And let me be honest here. I bawled.

Seanan is rather goddess-like. Anyone else trying to pull this off probably would have fallen face-first in bugmud, but not her. All these elements are not only perfect together, but we also have to deal with the aftermath of being erased from people's memories, zombified telepaths, and enormous flying mantises with Barsoomian warriors riding them. You know, details. And a local NY college.

I'm LOVING this series now. I can't believe it, but it has gotten even better than October Daye for me. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment