Mailing List

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

I'm Not Dying with You TonightI'm Not Dying with You Tonight by Kimberly Jones
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was mostly interested in this after seeing Kimberly Jones' rant (in so many places) so when a buddy said, let's read it, I was totally on board.

Yes, it is a depiction of a riot after tensions get too hot and it exploded across the city. Timely, no?

Even better, it's written from two points of view: black and white. It covers so many angles and keeps it real.

From misunderstandings and all kinds of self-reliance and the breaking of both innocence and ignorance keeps this tale hopping. I really enjoyed both PoVs... with one caveat: that boyfriend of hers was a serious tool. I REALLY wanted her to dump his lousy ass.

Of course, it wouldn't be a YA with serious tones without examples of kids making dumb decisions... but to me, these two are pretty solid.

If anything, this COULD be used as a pretty popular primer for racial tensions... with the focus on plain understanding. I can get behind that. :)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment