Mailing List

Saturday, October 12, 2019

The Forgotten Beasts of EldThe Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I may be an odd reader for this book, but it captured my imagination best in the first half of the book and less so in the second.

That being said, I thought it was a well-written, sometimes mildly poetical romance with all the old, familiar fantasy tropes. Mythical creatures are really mostly a side-issue. It's really about hearts. Big surprise, right? It is a romance. :)

All said, I enjoyed it well as a mild entertainment. Maybe my jaded reading eyes have just seen too much like this to get overawed. But prop where prop is due: the fantasy realm by the mid seventies was mostly going the strange route and hadn't been revamped to the kind that feels more like THIS.

We've seen a lot of this since then, however. Enjoyable, regardless.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment