Mailing List

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)Sons of the Oak by David Farland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm of two minds with this, but mostly that's because I re-gifted my wit back to the person who gifted theirs to me.

Wait. Does this just make me one of those eternal observers?

Nah, just a reader. :)

Even though this is officially a Runelord novel, it breaks most of its ties (except a few characters and all the mechanics) with the previous four. And you know what? I like it. A lot. The stakes are a bit more off in the future and the heroes are mostly all quite young. If I didn't know any better, I would call this a YA. But since it's right in the middle of a huge arc and focusing on a new generation, it's just right. It reminds me of Feist in a good way.

Oh, and I like the baddies. We've got a good look at the biggest bad and a new and interesting lesser boss. Our hero ain't a Green Man, either. What can I say? I actually LIKE fire, too! :)

I'm hooked. No need to fret over losing our old favorites. I've got my new ones lined up. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment