Mailing List

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3)Obsidio by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I went through some changes with this book.

At first, I was all excited to get to the next (and last), to see what happened to my favorite mad AI or, to a lesser degree, the silly tragic kids constantly surrounded by death and destruction and corporate greed and space-opera goodness.

And then war set in.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it. It kinda dragged for me. I wondered if it was all me or if I was meant to be dragged through the mud of never-ending resistance or feeling the horror of being on the side of evil and not having any means of getting out of it. The ambiguity should have worked for me, but this novel just kept getting darker and darker.

Every time my buddy AI came on stage, I was pretty happy, but the rest of the time, I had to wonder whether I was feeling down or if it was the purpose of the book.

Suicide triggers, ya'll. Fair warning.

I mean, I've read worse when it comes to suicide triggers, but I suppose I felt kinda close to it here. Sigh.

Still... I don't know what to think about that end. Objectively, the whole novel is full of action and I loved getting more of the original characters from Illuminae and all the battles and military actions felt authentic. I'm sure it's going to be on a lot of people's love lists.

Just not mine, unfortunately. I liked it for the most part, just not enough to go crazy like I had before.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment