Mailing List

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)Fury of the Demon by Diana Rowland
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's really kinda amazing that Rowland decided to go with her gut and change the series as much as she did. Police procedurals and all have a huge place in the world now and it's fine and stuff, but I get the distinct impression that everyone's going WAY OVERBOARD with the whole genre.

Enter Kara Gillian.

The last book allowed us to explore the demon world. I was enraptured. This book brought Kara back to Earth.

Kara isn't working for law enforcement anymore, but she does have friends. What's more, she's back with demon lord friends and more power than you shake a stick at. We're also introduced to new (and fun) characters as she attempts to save a number of demon thralls, save Idris, and we even get a Roadtrip novel. (Yes, it's a thing.) But here's the best part of these books: They're all character driven. The plots are more than decent and Rowling is smart about where she takes the stories, the betrayals, and the powerups. Even the magic system is becoming WORTHY.

But at the core, it's the characters that really drive everything in her novels. The story is always going where they want to go. It flows in just that way, and it's right and good. This is something beyond my saying that I love it. I'm saying the tale couldn't go any other way. It feels genuine. Everyone's reacting to their nature or striving against it in dynamic ways. The reveals transform our way of thinking about everything.

Yes, to Zack. Yes, to Ryan. I'm starting to love these guys. It took some time, but I'm finally on board. How many times do I have to like villains in Rowland's books before I get the clue? lol Who is the villain? Well, that's most of the fun. We're dealing with demon lords here and they are indeed very crafty.

Do I miss the police procedural bits?

Nope. *shrug* If I wanted more police procedural magic, I can get it anywhere. What I don't often see is truly dynamic and huge change in these UF's, and I'm just going to have to say bravo. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment