Mailing List

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Great Masters: Beethoven - His Life and MusicGreat Masters: Beethoven - His Life and Music by Robert Greenberg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a wild ride! I was always told how unstable Beethoven was, how brutish and lower case "c" crazy he was, but I guess he was all that and more.

BUT, if we ignore his bad behavior, his compulsive lying about his ancestry, the horrible mixed-up family situation, and some rather boarish behavior in general, we can ALL, almost universally, agree that he was ONE HELL OF A MUSICIAN.

Rock star is the proper term, not just in behavior, but in the rhythm and over-the-top grandiosity and originality of his work.


And, I shall not ignore the gloriosity of Greenberg's lecture. Top notch, as always.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment