Mailing List

Thursday, June 24, 2021

Press EnterPress Enter by John Varley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Revisiting an old story that I loved before and loved again.

Winner of numerous awards and if read in context for its time, it's wonderfully delicious, sweet, scary, and ultimately horrifying.

Do you like paranoia? How about hacking? Now, how about we dive into all the possible areas where we utterly transform our lives? In this case, it's still a thriller novella, but it's not DIRECTLY trying to harm the main character or threatening him. He's just a neighbor who got caught in the web of his neighbor's murder and hacking activities.

But that's where this story becomes something rather beautiful and exciting. The wealth of details and the blossoming love story is so quirky and sweet and fraught will real-world craziness and fallibility. I loved it. I was shocked with how dark it went, too, and frankly, I agreed with the main character.

This is story is one of those that will stay with me for a very long time. Just trust me if I'm being vague about it. It's very much worth it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment