Mailing List

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So I had a hard time figuring out what kind of book this was.

I mean, romantic comedies always have a feisty kick-ass woman complaining to all her friends just how seriously she'll insist that she'll Never, Never, Never sleep with *that* guy, only she's drawn, irresistibly, to the bad boy, or in this case, cat, and the whole book becomes not a "What-If" science fiction or well developed fantasy, but a "When-Will" of all glorious romances.

But then, we've got Jaguar gladiators, decapitations, Hindu gods and goddesses, power words and power plays galore. And honestly, this book has some of the more interesting vampire interactions I've had the pleasure to read. Reavers are also damn interesting.

I'm one of those fans of the series, now, that have come late to the party. I'm fully on board with all the wonderful danger and opportunities of the magic flares, the push and push back of science and magic, and the very nicely researched and executed (sometimes literally) mythologies. I was really getting into the Old Celtic stuff in the previous book, but who knew I could get so wrapped up in myths like this?

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm nuts for anything that plays heavy in the rich, rich world of myth.

So giddy. So... romantically attached? All right. So I'm finally on board with the whole romance between Curran and Kate. I was iffy about it for the first two and just considered it build up for something that might be good, later, but now it's finally gotten good.

Who cares about Derek, tho. :) I'm probably going to get a little hate on that one. He's just a little damsel in distress. Our intrepid Julie is the real hero of the tale, and she rocks. She rocked before but I love her even more now. :) Oh, okay, fine, Derek gets a "little" sympathy from me for having gone through all that, BUT I'm all for characters that stand up and clean up. You know, like Kate and Curran. :)

Looking forward to the rest of the series! :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment