Mailing List

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well what can I say? It was so much better, in my humble opinion, than Vicious.

Maybe it was just the fact that I didn't have to force a square into a circle in liking the characters in this book. Maybe I just love Lila's charm.

This is the kind of love story I like. Gentle knives, running away from your world, being tempted by unlimited power and learning damn hard lessons. Oh wait, did I say it was a love story? No. It happens to *have* a love story that I loved, but it was so damn mild and only a hint of one that it never even whelmed the main tale.

Which was AWESOME.

Or perhaps I ought to say that I loved the four Londons or at least the idea of the four Londons and now I'm just sitting here wondering about all the other places not mentioned and wondering if I ought to spill some blood to see that true balance and evoke just a trickle of the magic, for, after all, we do live in the gray, do we not? By god, perhaps I really ought to say, the magic words to vacate this world and be done with it!

The main characters were easy to like, and while they weren't too deep or complicated, they were very charming, nonetheless. Hell, the whole damn novel was charming as hell, and oh, yes, I Was Entertained. :)

Am I a solid, full-fledged fan of Schwab's writing? I didn't think so, before, but with this, I'm afraid I've fallen over into the dark side of London.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment