Mailing List

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)The Rebirths of Tao by Wesley Chu
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Believe it or not, reading this was like reading a healthy but calorie-laden meal served up for the whole family, full of hormonal spices, just a hint of spiritual grace, and finally washed down with a whole bucket of scotch.

That is: This book was mightily satisfying and easily the best of the trilogy.

A lot of time has passed, and Roen's son is a feisty teenager wanting to jump in the war, which is fine for a setup, but how Chu weaves him through the tale and sets him up to save his papa is more than satisfying. It's mythological. The wrap-up of the trilogy was extremely satisfying, if not quite as epic as the second. The underwater base battle was sweet, but it's the reappearance of truly memorable big bads that brings meat to the series.
Even the epilogue puts a bow on the tale with two broken arms and a beautiful sense that all roads lead to Roen.

Could the future be more bright? We've got our three-times-three act play in full swing here, and I couldn't be more pleased by how it turned out.

I'm a solid fan. If the rest hadn't sold me before, then the moment when Roen started using his head to solve the big problems did it for me. My middle-aged boy has grown up. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment