Mailing List

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wanted to like this one more than I did. It's not much different in quality to the previous volumes, mind you, but when you get a formula going and there's hardly any difference in the setup or execution between the books, it makes me wonder whether I ought to be continuing.

It started pretty strong, light-hearted, and very much a fun road-trip kind of tale, with an awkward love interest and an inconveniencing rival. Enter the second book, which followed the same story. Enter the third book, which followed the same story, even down to the same time to join camp, get roped into a new Quest, and being told not to go, but going anyway. Enter the fourth book. Guess what happened.

Mind you, it's still the same thing, still pretty light-hearted, almost identical characterizations, as if no one is growing up in the slightest, and the only thing I'm looking forward to is the gods and their foibles.

I'll continue on to the fifth book, but honestly, it's amazingly predictable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment