Mailing List

Thursday, September 21, 2023

Defiance (Foreigner #22)Defiance by C.J. Cherryh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have a pretty straightforward review for this new book in the Foreigner series. It's basically consolidation and worrying ramifications of the shadow guild throughout the various areas of the mainland.

If you know the series at all, you'll know it's great in the details, the nearly overwhelming worldbuilding that feels like parts of late feudal Japan, alien culture, and technological espionage.

This particular book isn't breaking a lot of new ground, but it is still fascinating and entertaining. Just remembering everything that came before is almost as fun as the new developments.

Would I recommend it?

Of course. It's very much more of the same, but that's usually a double-edged sword. If you've come this far, you're basically wondering if there's any dip in quality. There isn't. My only complaint is how much of the first part of the novel is devoted to recap and exposition. In this case, I can't quite fault it. So much HAS happened.

Welcome back to the series!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment