Mailing List

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight, #2)The Dragon Knight by Gordon R. Dickson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm thinking I probably would have appreciated these books more when they first came out.

Here's what's great about them: Chivalry, chivalry, and more chivalry, as only modern-day can glorify it. Dragons, magical creatures, and old-style English/French rivalry are all thrown into the mix.

It's cute in the way that a modern (80s) medieval historian might love to romanticize the period, giving us all a very Arthurian feel, while generously adding a bit of almost video-game magic to it.

It's cute, easy, and fairly charming.

It isn't modern fantasy, tho. It is a direct predecessor. More fantasy-lite, with a A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court vibe.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to continue on. Perhaps. It's not bad but it's not fantastic.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment