Mailing List

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Tomorrow HappensTomorrow Happens by David Brin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Long time Brin fan here. I figured I'd go through everything he's ever written (at least in book format) and enjoy them all as I had enjoyed them in the past. Sometimes, that's what it's all about. Returning to those things that made you happy.

That being said, this short collection (with essays), while being pretty solid in the SF and giving us a wonderful little teaser to how the Uplift Saga began, isn't the best work he's ever done.

It's still fascinating and it gives me all the hard science, wild imagination, and deep drill-downs into consequences of the choices that might be made, including post-singularity stuff, robots, uplifting other species to be on our level, a funny huge-space cautionary tale for those who just wanted to go faster.

On the essay front, there's his normal tack on privacy vs openness, and an essay about Issac Asimov, and how he, as one of the three B's, finished the newer Foundation trilogy. And there happens to be a delightful essay about JRRT and a light-hearted plug for Bored of the Rings which made me want to go get it.

All told, it's worth reading but it still isn't anywhere near his best work. That being said, MOST of his work is fantastic, so we have to put this on the same scale for it to mean anything. I still think the shorts are better than most modern storytellers. So there's that.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment