Mailing List

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)Mercy Blade by Faith Hunter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Continuing Jane Jellowrock's adventures as a hunter of rogues, we've set foot in Were territory at last. Not that I'm a huge fan of weres at all, mind you, but I was amused at how litigious they were. Or maybe I'm not all that surprised... :)

I wavered a little bit between 3 and 4 stars, settling on 4 simply because the worldbuilding continues to be above average for the genre.

I do have one little point I'd like to make: Rick was kinda turned into a MacGuffin. It might have been somewhat more interesting, except that Jane got all torn up over certain aspects that made me think she wasn't really as confident as she otherwise was.

Sure, sure, people can be strong in many different ways and weak in others, but that's just it... she HAD been strong in the sense of getting what she wanted out of relationships and had not come across as someone so susceptible to jealousy and/or outrage at betrayal. Indeed, all this focus on the negative side of relationship stuff has got me sitting on the fence. I both got annoyed with it AND I wanted to give the author props for going all the way with the consequences. The realistic touch was both good and bad in that it reduced my enjoyment of my otherwise escapist reading.

That's just my opinion. Mileage may vary.

Otherwise, I did enjoy the action and bloodshed, the mystery, and some of the romantic sparks. It is pretty average, however.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment