Mailing List

Friday, April 19, 2019

Of Sorrow and SuchOf Sorrow and Such by Angela Slatter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been a big fan of Angela Slatter ever since reading Sourdough and Other Stories for the lyrical and gorgeous writing.

Magic, shapeshifting, and truly magical worldbuilding surrounds these short stories and the others from the other collections.

I cannot stress enough how much I love her writing. Evocative, triple-layered line-item goodies, wry, loving, hateful, despairing, vengeful, and deep.

Every character is real in the way only the very best writers can make them. There's no bashing of sexes. It's all equal mixes of all the best and worst that humanity has to offer in every single character even though the main focus is on witches and witch-hunters.

There's no real way to describe how good these are except by experience. They're haunting and on the same level, at least to me, with Cat Valente's writing.

So deeply layered, simple in execution, and vast in implication. :) Total recommendation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment