Mailing List

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3)Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a bittersweet read.

I mean, the APOCALYPSE is here and angels and demons are lining up in our modern world and since we're already so invested in some of the main players we're HERE, ya know?

And yet, for all the grudging collaborations between rebel angels and the chimera, the drama surrounding the portals, of anima, of magic, and especially the LOVE DRAMA still simmering, bursting into flame between our two MC's AFTER sparking this apocalypse... I have the feeling that something vital is missing.

It certainly isn't the writing. When I'm in the tale, I'm IN the tale and I've passed the threshold of really caring for all these characters. I do care. And it isn't the worldbuilding, either, for while I've read fantasy and SF that can blow this out of the water, this one is solid and delightful in a way I can easily see carrying an enormous fanbase AND still appeal to jaded readers like myself. :)

No. I think it's something deeper, something more fundamental that wasn't touched upon in the full realization of the grand conflict. What we see is great, and epic, and totally modern world-affecting, but the deeper questions and significance are left untouched.

Normally that wouldn't be a big thing. Most of the time, the big questions ARE left untouched. But with a writer of this caliber, I would EXPECT a deeper revelation below the purely sensual and that of Hope.

You know?

Even so, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I just wish there was some more MEAT in this pudding.

Yeah, I know. Gross. But some of you will understand what I mean. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment