Mailing List

Friday, October 26, 2018

The Fear Institute (Johannes Cabal, #3)The Fear Institute by Jonathan L. Howard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Quite interesting. Maybe not the best book I've read of Howards, but this is still a fascinating almost-sword and sorcery adventure in the realms of dream... and Cthulhu monsters abounding with a huge dose of Ghouls. :)

And why not? This takes place in the dreamland where necromancy is more than slightly potent... It lets you put talking heads on poles to help you through all the dark places of the world. :)

I admit I liked the previous two Cabal novels a bit more, but as a straight Cthulhu adventure that isn't so much scary as purely imaginative, it works quite well. Johannes himself started out strong but even the dream dragged him down a bit. The other good men of the Fear Institute who bankrolled this little expedition were great fodder for the beasties there. :)

As I said, this is pretty decent. :) Not the best of the series, but serviceable and it leads to a very interesting development at the end. I can't wait to continue on. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment