Mailing List

Friday, August 24, 2018

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First of all, I should mention that this isn't my normal cup of tea. That being said, I do like it for precisely what it is.

A literary romance. Sure, there's some real romance in there, too, and it being 1946 and in and near the heart of England, we can expect a lot of post-war recuperation. What's the hook?

A book appreciation society.

Add a moderately successful writer, a clever hook to get her interested in a small island that's nothing more than a small town, and show her the virtues of small-town community versus everything else.

Add great stories and characterization of all the members, their experiences while being occupied by Germany, and especially the heart of the Potato Peel Society and her experiences, and what we've got is a historical novel full of charm and wit and heart.

My favorite part is how the whole thing is written epistolary fashion. There's also a nice Dorothy Parker feel, too. But what I think most people are hungry for is the romance and the love of literature.

I'm a huge fan of the literature bit, of course, but for me, I was only slightly interested in the whole Doc Hollywood romance. The feel of the Possession romance was quite understated, but it was there, but even so, the heart of it is people finding something good to love and pour their heart into during some really trying times.

It's a common enough theme. And heaven knows, we need it. And while I'm not going head-over-heels for the novel, I have no complaints.

I may have been forced to read it, but that doesn't matter. I don't regret it. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment