Mailing List

Friday, August 7, 2020

The Breach (Travis Chase, #1)The Breach by Patrick Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Picking up and putting down this book, I'm left with a huge impression that this was designed to be a video game.

Action, shootem-up, video game. Along the way you can pretend you're the MC of "24" and you go from one bloody step to the next bloody step as the otherwise fairly high-concept SF trope driving it gets revealed.

Like I said, a video game.

Unfortunately for me, I like role-playing video games much more than the straightforward shootem-ups. I want to feel the consequences of my actions, not just move on from one horrific scene to the next in a glorified homage to bullets and guns and explosions.

But hey! This is what Western Civilization is known for, right? This is the epitome of what we're good at! Building beautiful things to provide a backdrop to kill lots of people. Oh, and explode it.

Like I said -- there are a lot of people who would probably love the hell out of this. A part of me has spent years watching similar movies or playing similar video games, so I guess I used to be one of them. Maybe I'm a bit over it, now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment