Mailing List

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The Slow Sad Suicide of Rohan WijeratneThe Slow Sad Suicide of Rohan Wijeratne by Yudhanjaya Wijeratne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow. What a surprise. I mean, I read this only because I was told the author is amazing and I kept on meaning to get to him ... eventually, and once I finally did, I'm pretty much blown away.

This is only a novelette or a short story, but damn. We're talking about suicide, searching for God in all the wrong places, and a one-way trip into the heart of a naked singularity. Because... well... why the hell not?

Derp.

Add a ton of great SF ideas twisting around in both the noggins of both Wijeratnes, from funny and tragic pathos to nanites, physics, and even practical jokes from the internet about time travel, and we've got ourselves something sharp. Very sharp. And the writing is just as sharp.

Do I want to keep reading Wijeratne? Hell yeah. If this is anything to go by, I'd be a fool not to pick up every single thing he's written. :) This is hard SF with a great comic/tragic bite.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment