Mailing List

Monday, April 30, 2018

The Folklore of DiscworldThe Folklore of Discworld by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wavered between 3-4 stars on this one, but I'm nothing if not a bit generous when it deserves it.

My main concern was that this was another book cashing in on the huge popularity of Pratchett, and it is, but it didn't dim my enjoyment.

I love folklore and myth and this one is full of a bunch of mirroring of both, breaking down examples of how Pratchett twists and captures the spirit of so many legends... (mostly English or within that scope, which is also large). Is it good? Sure, if you like a refresher on myth and more local sources of custom, magical thinking, and fairy tales. :)

I do. And so I thought it was quite good. I did learn a few new things, too, but mostly it was comparative religion and callbacks to the standards. :) Not bad, but it still reads like a popular literary analysis textbook. :)

Do I recommend it? Absolutely, if you're a huge fan of Pratchett! :) Gives you a new dimension with which to read the books! :)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment