Mailing List

Monday, July 17, 2017

The Seven (The Vagrant, #3)The Seven by Peter Newman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't usually run across fantasy that stands out this much, but when I do, I really feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.

This one wraps up one of the most fascinating and epically glorious trilogies I've ever read. This is by far one of the most ambitious and fun demon-sword tales ever, especially since goats are involved and the swords are rooted in a deeply fantastic world-building setting that's as much hard-SF as it is epic demon hoards and battles.

It even has spacecraft and high tech battles right alongside immortal demons and flesh-crafting seen on a scale I've generally never seen done this big anywhere.

But if you think this isn't praise enough, all by itself, then know that the characters are hella cool and they more that carry the entire tale in such a way that we could easily do away with all the epic battles and it would still be a really fascinating and funny and deep ride.

High praise? Well, it deserves all that and more.

I have pretty high standards when it comes to epic fantasy. There's a lot of average epic stuff out there. This one is anything but average.

And as for the author, I have no qualms about following him to the ends of the earth, no matter what he writes next. He has real chops. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment