Mailing List

Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love Barbie. I love Wanda. I love Thessaly.

Truly, this was one hell of a tightly-woven story including inner-worlds, cuckoo birds, ancient witches, pulling down the moon, and death.

There's no way in hell that I could really boil it down to essentials. As a whole it seriously rocks and hits me in the feels. Sexual identity and childhood and babies is only a part of it. Being wise and forgiving is only a part of it.

Hell, I see that holy-bitch at Wanda's funeral and I see her just acting in her nature, just like the Cuckoo, and I feel like Thessaly, knowing I really ought to behave like Barbie. It tears me up.

This is serious literature. Both fantastic, strange, and deep as hell and sharp. :) Hard to believe, after reading it, that it is a comic.

View all my reviews The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections (The Sandman, #6)The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm really in the swing of my Sandman re-read and loving every second of it, now.

I love the retelling of Orpheus. Hell, that entire sequence sent chills down my spine and kept making me think along the original storyline, making fantastic connections. It's not for the faint of heart. My only complaint was the script. It wasn't the easiest to read. Still, what lies underneath is the most important. French-revolution and the Furies, indeed!

I liked all the stories, really, and even while they don't come with the same kind of kicks I'm used to, quiet reflection isn't exactly a bad outcome. Watching Emperor Augustus play a beggar was priceless, as was the examination of what makes an everlasting empire. But the First and Last Emperor of America was brilliant. Nuff Said. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment