Mailing List

Friday, September 25, 2015

The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium, #4)The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is good clean fun, with none of the major problems I was prepared to pour upon it. While it isn't based on any of the notes that the deceased author left behind, only the characters and the situations, I still love the characters.

Our favorite hacker-girl is still kick-ass and running huge circles of Sci-Fi all over the more traditional mystery scene. To note: Wet get lots of references to technological singularities, emergent AIs, MMORPGS, darknet, and even an ill-conceived MCU geekspew.

Technological fantasy is rampant, and it's pretty damn awesome when mixed with more avenging of women and children. I'm telling you, it's all mindless fun. It doesn't break new ground from the original fantastic trilogy, except with Lizbeth's twin sister, but that's okay because it's a STANDARD PLOT DEVICE for mysteries.

The journalism schtick is pretty convincing, too, but I'd expect that from an actual journalist who picked up the pen to write this.

It isn't bad, people! It sucks you in and has a pretty damn satisfying kick the NSA in the nuts conclusion. Great palate cleanser, too. Clears my mental plate clean for some real SF or Fantasy that's niggling me. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment