Mailing List

Monday, February 28, 2022

Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son, #1)Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm circling back and reading all the books that I had somehow missed when I was on my Robin Hobb kick. I don't have any idea why I skipped this trilogy at all but I'm now kicking myself.

To be fair, this isn't quite like the wonderful Fitz books and it has a very different feel to it, but what it does have is a very frontier-like YA feel. Boy, not girl YA, mind you. With training to become a commissioned soldier, but first having gone through what amounts to exposure and even shaman training with a local indigenous-type that makes the rest of his life -- interesting.

The full length of the novel was quite fun if somewhat following the same path as so many like it. School, old vs new money rivalries that get really ugly, plague, etc, in what really feels like an early American adventure set entirely within Hobb's fantasy world.

I'm curious to see whether there is any hint of a crossover, but so far I haven't really seen a need for one. It's quite interesting and I'll be reading on without a qualm.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment