Mailing List

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Red MoonRed Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let's be real here. I didn't come to KSR's dinner table for a simple adventure story.

I always come to eat a novel so rich with ideas that I tent to forget that there's a core story underneath all the cool bits of political revolution, economic warfare, the problem of representation, quantum intelligence, cultural identity, and of course... CHANGE.

But like a rice dish with WAY too many spices, the core story to this novel is somewhat overwhelmed by this plethora of great ideas.

Did I enjoy the characters represented? The popular-revolution pregnant-princess on the run with an American quantum physicist as they hop throughout the heart of China and the moon, angling toward a war of hearts, minds, and wallets?

Yeah. I did. :) But it was downright SUBTLE compared to the rich mess of other ideas popping all around me!

In this respect, it's quite on par with 2312. Less space-opera, more revolution, and very wonderfully full of Chinese. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment