Mailing List

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been going on a spree of LitRPG books lately and I have to admit I'm having a grand fun time with them all. Maybe it comes from my gamer background or perhaps I just love the whole gamut of rules associated with complicated and arcane magic systems, but I'm also pretty sure this transcends all that kind of musing.

What I've found is a wonderful tale set mostly within a magic school closely associated with climbing these massively complicated dungeon towers spread throughout the land. Preparation, leveling up, building friendships and parties, and above all, mystery and intrigue and disturbing goings-ons is what this is all about.

It could have gone the route of a huge virtual world and online players but it didn't. Instead, the world is actually RUN by the game system (minus the dice). It's both familiar and quite a bit different than most of the RPGs I've played. We've got deeper explorations of enchanting and attunements than I've seen almost anywhere.

It also feels like the next best thing after The Name of the Wind.

At least, it has the same kind of fun energy and magical explorations, if not as complex a story.

That being said, don't imagine this is a simple RPG tale. The characters make it shine, the plot development is quite complex and beautifully developed, and the action is delicious. :)

I totally recommend it as a must-have of the subgenre. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment