Mailing List

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Just look at that cover! Doesn't that scream sexytime and burning fluffy wooly-headed desire? There's even a hint of magic in there, right?

Granted, anyone who knows this writer-team can fully expect there to be a huge amount of magic and very decent world building and a solid UF action- and sometimes mystery- novel, but for me, that's the ONLY REASON I picked up this book at all... because I respect the writers... not because I was corralled into reading this with a bunch of friends who were sad because the Kate Daniels books are so slow in the coming. :)

But look at that cover! It screams trashy romance!

Alas!

But then I read it and was very pleasantly surprised that it was mostly magic, mystery, family, and a bunch of wild investigation times with things blowing up. The world is full of magic unlocked by a handwavium juice and boosted by particular genetics and families, but more than that, it's an adventure.

It also has a light romance touch with the obligatory ultra-alpha male and the MC damsel that must have told us on the page that, "NO. Indeed. She Will Not Succumb To His Sexy Wiles."

Ahem. Romance. Yes, there's romance. It hardly takes up ten percent of the whole novel, but it is an ever-present thread. :)

And, if I'm going to be entirely honest... it grew on me. :) I had fun.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment