Mailing List

Friday, February 17, 2017

The Night CircusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a solidly entertaining read that really shone by the end for me. Mainly it was a historical fiction revolving around real magic that tied to a circus that only played at night, but these words do nothing to illustrate that it's really a character novel despite these very well done trappings of fantasy and historical literature.

We follow Celia and Marco from their childhood and these poor kids are pitted against each other in a great magical game where only one can survive. While this could have turned into a huge fracas, it actually proceeds sedately and professionally as each child makes a career as illusionists performing real magic, until one day they discover each other.

I'll be honest. I didn't really care for the book all that much until it became a romance. Odd, no? Well, that's where it took off for me, and I held on with great fear. :) The rest was great fun.

Second to that, however, was the tone and the atmosphere. I understood a great love for the circus, with all the great care and tending it required, how the magic was bound to it and how things could be utterly messed up without that underlying spark. It was rather sweet and dreamy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment