Mailing List

Saturday, September 17, 2016

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's a competent sequel, feeling both less shrieky and less like hunger games, and I really can't fault the direction that the characters are forced into.

I mean, they just sparked a revolution... and the empire struck back.

It was a novel of setbacks, if you can count being tortured for most of a novel a setback. And I mean the characters, not us, dear reader. It wasn't a bad read, and I usually don't care much for prolonged questioning, but it was done interestingly, so again I can't complain.

Aside from a few rather cool reveals that picked up the pace, the novel did kinda drag in a few places and I kinda struggled to care for the MC's, but fortunately, I did rather enjoy their betrayers and their antagonists. Even so, I did think the pacing was pretty even, but things are still pretty far from being resolved.

That's very good if you want a long series. Not so much if you prefer tight storytelling.

So if you, dear reader, are in the mood for a wrenching YA epic fantasy that goes on and on, you'll probably really enjoy this. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment