Mailing List

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Wytches, Vol. 1Wytches, Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Very enjoyable story, and not just because it's scratching my itch for something scary for halloween.

I love the gloriously messed up main characters, with all their anxiety-battling, creatively destructive descent into madness... or is it madness? Of course not! There's always something out there in the dark forest, after all, and the mirror world is very dark indeed. I'm good to start pledging and getting my wishes on!

The story is surprisingly emotional and visceral from start to finish, and I think I like its coherency better than another horror comic I finished not too long ago. (Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft had a much more complex story and a wonderful magic system, but as for just plain hitting me in the gut and writing a scary map of veins on my skin, Wytches, Vol. 1 is superior.)

It helps that I'm a weird daddy with a daughter that I love to death. This kind of thing calls out to some people more than others, and crazy protectiveness is kinda my thing, too.

So Top-Marks for grabbing me and shaking me until I cried mercy! It's exactly what the doctor ordered. Hugely entertaining. And best, there's MORE to come. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment